Friday, August 13, 2010

July 17-August 1, 2010 - Snapshots

There is a tree of life outside my apartment window, and one afternoon a praying mantis perched itself in its branches.

July 20th - two happy adoptive families.

District Meeting role plays - Elder Blacker, Elder Hill, Elder Mackey - July 23.
Elder Gulbransen, Elder Dew, Elder Nawahine, Elder Isom.
My shell collection grows, Nancy!  Still no seahorse...

On July 24th there was a Stake YMYW Pioneer trek - 15.2 miles from Ajeltake chapel to the Laura chapel.  Laurie made 18 bonnets for the Long Island Ward YW and their leaders.  Rutha and Juana modeling...

July 26th - Elder Wright and Elder Lasky building bikes for the Sisters in Laura - Elder Lasky just happens to be a cycling pro.  It was kind of like Christmas Eve, only the bikes went together really fast because of the expertise.

Also that night the Davidsons returned from a trip to Ebeye, and brought back Subway sandwiches from Kwajalein!  Wonders never cease here in Majuro...

Just a reminder of the July 27th office disaster diverted by Elder Gulbransen...
and Elder Dew.  Our heroes...

July 29th - while waiting at the airport for Sister Fanga'iuiha's arrival, I ran into Samson, my singing student, and his mother, who works in this amimono shop at the airport.
President Shaw, Sister Shaw, and newly- arrived Sister Fanga'iuiha.  She became my second companion after Sister Hansen.  What a remarkable opportunity I have to welcome and orient new Sister missionaries when they come by themselves to our mission.  I get to be their companion for a day or two, have them in my home to feed them, and give them a place to rest and freshen up. I get to teach them their first Marshallese lessons and how to survive on the Equator, as well as to have them teach me what it is like to have a companion and plan and pray together.  And this time the Shaw's took us both out to lunch!

July 31st - Sister Ve'e and Sister Tuimoala adjusting well at their Rongelap house in Laura.
Some children I met at Laura Beach that day - they are standing in front of an ancient Marshallese coral fish trap that is exposed when the tide is low.  The fish become trapped inside of the coral 'corral' when the tide goes out, and it is easy to just gather them in for dinner.
A close-up of my little friends, who helped me hunt for shells.

July 31st - vegetables and fruits again!  Bless the ships when they come in from the States!

August 1st - What a way to begin a new month - family comes to Majuro!  Ed Kinghorn is a visiting professor from BYU-Hawaii - he just happens to be married to the cousin of my son-in-law.  Over here, that is family!  Anywhere, that is family when he has played with my grandchildren and loved my daughter at Jeremy's family reunions...

1 comment:

  1. So much fun to see your shell collection!! I think Santa Claus has the seahorse.

    ReplyDelete